:: i love you ::

Saturday, January 21, 2006

End of the Spear

End of the Spear
End of the Spear
I saw a movie poster for this a while back, but didn't really register it. Then I got some email (from someone who forwards me a lot) and it talked about how distribution was extremely limited and widespread distribution would not be approved unless a certain number of people saw it this opening weekend. Then, I got invited by Stacy yesterday... In a comment no less... :)

Being a Christian, it was easy to know what the movie was going to be about. There was recently a documentary on TV called, Beyond the Gates of Splendor. Any Christian, who has interest in missions will know almost immediately what that is, and what its about. For those of you who don't, it will feel like you are missing out on some elitist club. Don't feel bad. I didn't know what is was about until about a year ago.

Beyond the Gates of Splendor was originally a book written by Elisabeth Elliot. Her husband Jim, was a Christian missionary in Ecuador, specifically to native tribes in remote areas. He and four other missionaries were killed by the Auca Indian Tribe in 1956. Here is a more comprehensive and concise history of Jim Elliot and the Auca's.

There has been a bit of controversy within the Christian community regarding the lead actor, Chad Allen. Mr. Allen is openly gay, even going so far as to defend the homosexual community on Larry King Live about a year ago, opposite John MacArthur. Christians, you are stupid if you refuse to see this film because of the sexual orientation of one of the lead actors. You should be praying for Chad Allen, he has certainly heard the gospel. Pray for him, don't alienate him and discredit excellent acting.

The film is mainly about Mincayani (Louie Leonardo) and his tribe the Waodoni, what happens after the killing of 5 missionaries, and what happened nearly 40 years later. The movie was well done, and moved me to tears at the end. This makes 3 movies even that have made my eyes wet. I think I am getting soft in my old age.

I think you should see this movie. It highlights the worst mankind can offer each other, and the best.

Links of note:
www.endofthespear.com
www.everytribe.com
www.chadallenonline.com
www.imdb.com


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just reading the biography of Jim Elliott is enough to make me watch this film! It has moved to the top of my movies-to-watch list.

23/1/06 09:19

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you missed an awesome concert tonight!

27/1/06 11:34

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see this yet? It was Great!

30/1/06 12:24

 
Blogger Christopher Warren said...

of course I saw it... haha...

30/1/06 12:25

 

Post a Comment

<< Home